Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Birthday Boy


Old Wahoo's oldest son, Rob, turns 7 today, and that makes Old Wahoo feel old for reasons hard to explain. 
I still remember when he was born, of course. My wife and I did all the pre-birthing classes, but we always kind of glazed over the C-section part, so when they had to operate, it was pretty startling to both of us, though obviously more for Laura. Fortunately, most everything went well - except for the painkillers wearing off, a big negative - but we were blessed with a healthy, happy boy.
He's seven now, and he seems so much older even though it seems as if he were born just a few days ago. Many people say their worldview changes when they have children, which I always find hard to believe. I want to ask them: "Really? Did you not always put your wife and family first? Were you always self-centered?" But at the same time I think there are changes, though the changes are subtle. Certainly, there is a greater appreciation of life, of the moment, of family. There is the certainty that family always will come first, always has come first, always should come first. There is the moment that you hold your children in your arms, and you know you will never forget it. Those things do shape you. At least they have shaped me.
Now Rob is seven, and he has taught me many things. He has opened my eyes again to wonder and curiosity. He has shown me the power of unconditional love. And he has told me how to put together a fan, fix the plumbing and do other odd jobs around the house.
It's a good thing he's around.
 

2 comments: