Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Fitness feedback

Thanks to everyone for sharing their thoughts and tips on struggling to stay fit. I appreciate all the feedback, and I received a lot of helpful advice from you guys via e-mail and facebook
Marathon man Dave Cohen sent an e-mail that I could relate to, though I can't hang with his running. Pretty impressive. 
Here's what he said:

I started running last June (right before we moved from MI) and have gotten really into it... I am doing my first marathon (NY Marathon) in November and am running 55 miles a week, which is kind of nuts.
 
I think the big thing for me was initially I wanted to get in shape ... I also signed up for a 10K last summer (my first race) and that was good motivation as well.  In general, its always nice to have goals that are obtainable to keep you going... After I finish one race, I usually find another to sign up for.  I also like to set time goals for the races which cause me to work on building miles, faster time, etc... but in the beginning the biggest thing is just getting out there are running. The first day I ran I couldn't run for 1/2 mile (serious) which was shocking and kind of embarrassing
 
before last year, I always had excuses not to exercise also and the longest I had sustained exercise since the age of 18 was probably 4 months.  As a parent, it is easy to feel bad taking time away from the kids, wife, etc.. I have been tired and usually force myself to go out and run.
 
I rationalized it in one sense because I think encouraging health and fitness for the kids is a good goal, so watching me exercise may help them value that in life as well.  Obviously (my wife) has been very supportive in tolerating my training schedule, which usually involves me leaving the house for 2-3 hour runs every Saturday.  The only hard part is sometimes I get too drained of energy or my legs are sore and then I can't play soccer or tag with (my kids) which i feel bad about.
 
Its good to have a schedule because that can keep you on track and not allow slacking off (obviously can be modified if there are extenuating circumstances)\
I wish I could run at 5 am but find it so hard to get up then.. on days I go in late, I run in the AM.. other days I run after work.  but you are right in that it takes time from the kids;.
 
Also, there are cool "toys" that can keep you motivated... such as a GPS watchhttp://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Forerunner-Receiver-Heart-Monitor/dp/B000CSWCQA which tells your pace and distance you are running, and shows you the route, pace etc on the computer
 
for the ipod there is the nike+ attachment which is similar..and a lot cheaper... not as fancy or accurate but still can give you info on pace, distance, and can keep track of runs on the computer
Keep up the good work and good luck training for the marathon. Thanks for the e-mail, Dave.

And here's a link for the Nike+ipod.

No comments:

Post a Comment