Friday, August 7, 2009

Struggling to Stay Fit

Old Wahoo read a post today on the Washington Post's On Parenting Blog about staying active with your young kids. I thought it was a great idea to run together with other dads and their kids, but more importantly, the dads have found a routine that works and have stuck to it.
To me, that's crucial. I've started to run finally, and I like it, but if I don't stick to a routine, I get lazy. Why? Because I am lazy, and because objects at rest stay at rest. Conversely, objects in motion, stay in motion. 
Unfortunately, I'm good at coming up with excuses for staying at rest. I've got to watch the kids. I have too much work to do. I need to go to the grocery store. And the No. 1 weakest reason: I'm tired.
Fortunately, my wife bought me an iPod for my birthday, and she helped convince me to run in a 5K, which I did a couple of weeks ago in Alden, up on Torch Lake in northern Michigan. I was extremely slow, but I finished the race, which was the goal.
One problem: I've only run once since then. I need another race. I need to stay on track and keep rolling.
I'm interested to know how other moms and dads (and everyone else) find time to exercise. Let me know in the comments below or e-mail me at john.hetzler@gmail.com.
Now it's time to go running.

EDITED to fix e-mail address.

1 comment:

  1. Sometime I use those excuses about all the stuff I "have to do" instead of exercising to do the exercise. Maybe I'll get the kids on their bikes and we'll head to Kroger's to get a gallon of milk. Or go to the library to return the overdue movies. Sometimes I try to see how many trips I can make or how fast I can go up and down the stairs putting things away. And seriously, sometimes chasing 3 boys around is all the exercise you need!

    ReplyDelete