Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Sharing a Childhood Passion

Old Wahoo rediscovered his baseball card collection last week as I tried to help the kids with a school project, and I reveled in my sports geek-dom. I found all kinds of cool stuff, from 7-11 Slurpee Discs (like this) to my favorite, a John Riggins football card (the one pictured at left).
It was hard to stay focused, but I had a job to do. The kindergartner had to complete a 100th day of school poster that included 100 items of any type. Not wanting to cut out 100 pictures of cats or some other animal, I suggested using 100 baseball cards. I knew gluing the cards on poster board would ruin the value of the cards, but considering most are worth only a couple of cents (if that), I figured it would be a good way to share something I enjoyed when I was a kid.
The kindergartner was lukewarm to the idea, but the second-grader thought it was great. He and I crawled into the back of the attic, and knelt in the corner with a flashlight, flipping through card after card (I even think I hurt my knee a little bit). We found all types of cards, including many that I forgot I had, such as Olympic champions, baseball legends and old basketball stars. We also discovered a bunch of Star Wars cards from the early 1980s, and fortunately that struck a chord with the kindergartner, who agreed to use those for his poster.
I was glad to help him with his project, but I was more excited that the second-grader enjoyed looking at the cards with me. After all, I saved the cards with the idea that I could share them with my children, and it was nice to share a passion with your children without forcing it on them.

7 comments:

  1. Awesome John! I've done the same! Did you find any Wacky Packs? Or those sweets metal coin-type disks (70s baseball, mostly Oakland As for some reason). I love the old baseball cards that look like paintings! You must be younger than me, I don't have any Star Wars cards...but I did cut baseball cards out of DingDong boxes I think this qualifies me as a geek-jock-mom. Most valuable? Gretzky rookie card! Yea me! Shelly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Shelly. I don't have Wacky Packs, but I do remember cutting out baseball cards from the back of cereal boxes.
    The Gretzky rookie card must be awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband and I sat on the basement floor last year slogging through a giant Rubbermaid tote full of his cards -- baseball, football, hockey (he's 43, btw). I actually had a blast! We started sorting them into categories like cheesy mustaches, people chewing tobacco, lambchops, and so forth. My plan (yet to be embarked upon) was to frame them in groups and hang them in the bathroom, or something. I had a ton of laughs walking down memory lane with him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shelly, my husband has a Gretzky rookie, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jack begged for baseball cards for his 100 day celebration. I loved it too.
    When did 100th day become a big deal? I guess there's time for a lot to change in the 40 years since I was a first-grader.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gina, OK make that two geek-jock-moms. LOL! Hi Bruce - do you have a blog? Comment on mine too at shesfutballfriendly.blogspot.com.
    Night!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bruce: I have no idea when this 100th day thing became such a big deal. I certainly don't remember anything about it from when I was a kid, either.
    Gina: One of my favorite players from when I was a kid was Oscar Gamble because a) he had a cool name and b) he had cool hair/sideburns.

    ReplyDelete