Tuesday, May 4, 2010

My Son, the General Manager

Old Wahoo told the kindergartner about the Tigers' victory over the Angels on Sunday, and I told him about how well Justin Verlander pitched. He was excited, of course, but as usual he was also worried: "I hope they don't trade him."
I agreed with him. Then the kindergartner offered this gem: "They should trade all the bad players and get all the good players." That logic is sound. Maybe he can be the general manager of the Tigers someday.
The kindergartner remembers the Curtis Granderson trade, which was not popular with many Tigers fans, both young and old. (Someone should have taken a poll of what elementary-school kids thought about the trade. I expect it would have received a big thumbs-down.) But even though it is early, Austin Jackson - a key piece of the trade - is excelling for the Tigers, while Granderson is struggling and on the disabled list for the Yankees.

No comments:

Post a Comment