Saturday, July 10, 2010

The Big Money Question

Lately, the older boys have asked more and more about money. Important questions, too, such as "When will you give me more money?" or "When can I get more money to buy toys?" or "Will you buy me this?" They're not particularly bad about it, but they do act like acquiring more money and more things is a birthright. There are plenty of tips on this topic, such as in this reasonable article by Ron Lieber in The New York Times. While honesty, straightforwardness and logic are laudable goals, I would prefer advice on how to avoid talking about difficult topics with your kids and still make them better. Where's the story on brainwashing? Or just perfect passive parenting? Or how 'bout this one: "Watching Sports on TV with Your Kids Will Make Them Smarter, Healthier, Happier and Easier to Manipulate"? I think there's grant money available for that one. I know just how to ask for it, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment