Wednesday, July 7, 2010

The Real Farmville

On the family's trip to Iowa for my grandmother's 90th birthday celebration, Old Wahoo and family visited Uncle Gary's farm just outside Muscatine, Iowa. The trip was great for the usual reasons: boys get to ride John Deere tractor, boys get to ride the Gator and boys get to ride the tractor some more. (And by boys, I mean the grown-up boys, too.) Mostly, though, the visit to the farm brought back memories of old family trips to Iowa, when I went with my grandfather for trips to the relatives' farms, for excursions to Wildcat Den (a state park east of Muscatine) and checking out the zoo at Weed Park. Though much has changed - my grandfather, sadly, died nearly 25 years ago - it meant a lot to share those experiences, however different, with my children and my family. It was a chance to reconnect with family, and that's what matters more than anything.

1 comment:

  1. It really was a great weekend, in no small part because you and your family were here! Thanks so much for making the time and effort to come, and for all of your help while you were here! Come again soon!

    ReplyDelete