Thursday, March 26, 2009

Changing lanes

More men are conflicted about their work-life roles, according to this article in the USA Today. I think this is becoming a bigger issue, and I think it's one men don't really want to talk about because I think men are conflicted about their home duties. For me, I view some of chores as a sign of weakness while at the same time knowing it's what I need (and in some cases want) to do  to take care of my family. Though I want to help out, I feel like changing diapers, besides the unpleasant odor, is decidedly unmanly. It's hard to come to grips that I'm not John Wayne (I'm laughing as I type it) but that it is manly to help out, to do these duties such as driving the carpool to preschool. I think it's hard on fathers - we don't want to complain about it because we want to help out raising our kids, but at the same time we want to complain about it because it makes us feel uncool and unmanly. Mostly I can put those thoughts behind me because my family comes first. In the end, taking care of your family is the most manly - or perhaps more accurately, the most human - thing to do. 

UPDATE: I think this is what I'm trying to say: I still have that stupid Taylor Swift song in my head, and it's really bugging me. 

1 comment:

  1. Do you think that men would think differently about their home duties if they realized that their wives usually think that the sight of their man doing chores thoroughly and without being asked is extremely sexy??

    ReplyDelete