Monday, October 5, 2009

He Asks The Right Questions

Old Wahoo made the mistake of listening to sports radio today - one of my major character flaws - and the topic, of course, centered on the recent Miguel Cabrera controversy.
This prompted a flurry of fascinating questions and statements from Alex, much to my chagrin at first. But by the end he had me wishing I could see the world as a 5-year-old.
"Will Miguel Cabrera be arrested, Dad?"
"Will he go to jail, Dad?"
"Do people who go to jail stay there forever?"
"Do they want people who go to jail to die?"
"Then why do police need guns?"
"Then why do they need protection?"
"Then I think they should just carry axes and chop off the front of the guns so no one can use them."
Alex's questions raised more questions for me, and he certainly had better questions than I had answers.
Why do we assume problems are so complex? Why don't we solve more problems (or at least approach them) with the attitude of a 5-year-old? And why do I listen to sports radio?

2 comments: