Monday, May 18, 2009

Summer Reading

Old Wahoo wants to get Rob more involved in reading, without pushing too much. He shows a desire and apptitude for reading, though he has little focus (or willingness) toward it now. To encourage him, I thought about starting a reading chart, and when we reach a certain number of books (i.e. 100), he would earn a prize. 
To help him, I said he could count my books, too, hoping that he would not figure out that it takes me a long time to read and he would only get a bump of 4 or 5 books from me. Plus, I think it would help if he saw me read, and I really have a few books I want to devour this summer.
The first book is the "Watchmen" graphic novel, which elicited the "My-God-I-knew-he-was-a-geek-but-not-that-big-a-geek" face from Mrs. Wahoo. I also want to read "Netherland," a post-9/11 story about, at least in part, cricket (yes, cricket) in New York City. 
Anyway, what do you want to read this summer? And am I pushing Rob to hard? I want him to enjoy reading, not dread it.

2 comments:

  1. I just read World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War, by Max Brooks.
    Good satirical look at the zombie apocalypse.

    I also read author Lee Child for the first time. He writes a series of thrillers starring a bad-a$$ ex-military police officer named Jack Reacher. Worth a look.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely will have to check out the Lee Child books. Laura has "World War Z" and loved it.

    ReplyDelete