Friday, May 8, 2009

Thanks Mom


Look, one day doesn't cut it for Mother's Day. They need (and deserve) a lot more than one day off from cooking or some flowers to show them how much we love them, so why isn't it a weekend or a month? (Or am I just saying this because my present is in the mail, wink, wink?)
Seriously, I love my mom, and I think the best thing about her is the way she loves me. Plus, along with my dad, she gave me a set of values and a sense of direction that have proved true and invaluable. 
The one thing I'll always appreciate about my mom is the kick in the butt she gave me after my second year in college. I was done with classes for the spring, and I was just loafing around the house, not knowing what I should do for a summer job (if anything). Mom told me to start calling radio stations, and I looked at her like she was crazy. 
"I just can't call them," I protested. 
"Just call," she said. Then she handed me the Yellow Pages.
Now, if you read any article about job hunting, the author will immediately state that cold-calling is a complete waste of time, that you need an "in," etc.
Bogus.
By the time I called the second radio station in the good ol' book, WGH, the Eagle 97, I had hit the jackpot. The woman answering the phones that morning happened to be the assistant promotions manager, and yes, the Eagle was looking for some part-time work.
I had a blast working at the Eagle, even though I worked long hours (I think I worked 12 hours my first day on the job) and even though I knew I never wanted to work in radio for the rest of my life. It was freaking crazy, making "WKRP in Cincinnati" look sane. (Though "WKRP" would have been a cool place to work.)
Anyway, I learned that if I wanted something, I had to go for it, no matter how stupid I thought it was or how stupid I felt or how long the odds were.  It's advice I still need to heed.
And I think it's helped me get where I am today. I've got a beautiful family and a career, that maybe it's not where I want it to be right now, has opened many doors and given me a lot of happiness.
And I owe it all to Mom.
Thanks.
 

1 comment:

  1. You're right John - your Mom is pretty special. I love this story - hadn't heard it before! Happy Mothers Day to mothers everywhere!

    Ann

    ReplyDelete