Wednesday, June 17, 2009

The New Fatherhood

USA Today ran an interesting story on the changing nature of fatherhood. I thought much of the story was spot on, though I thinks it's always been "cool ... to be an active, involved father." I think more and more dads are tackling what were formerly "maternal" duties (i.e. changing diapers, carpooling, etc.) and that maybe never should have had gender tags on them. With women working more and more, and with the economic downturn, it's a trend that likely will continue and even accelerate.
For me, it's not always easy. Recently, Laura said that helping out with other people's children by baby-sitting, play dates, etc. was "the currency of mothers," which was meant as encouragement to me. I know it should not have, but it made me feel uneasy and somehow lacking, like it was an assault on my manhood instead of a suggestion to help me navigate fatherhood. For me, my ego still gets in the way.
What do you think? Has fatherhood changed? What are some of the challenges? How can I avoid letting my ego get in the way? Am I too touchy-feely?

SIDE NOTE: The USA Today article mentions DadLabs.com. I checked it out, and it's pretty cool.

2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed this post. I think you're right on in noting how more women in the workforce and, now, the economic downturn, has blurred the gender tags. I think ego calls from the halls of our pasts, when lines were drawn so clearly between men and women. Now there is simply work to be done and, whether it's a woman mowing the lawn or a man changing diapers, it is the new definition of a family succeeding. Cheers to your decision to be an engaged dad. That is one job that will only be more secure, regardless of what the economy does. Not even aged-old ego can dampen such a warm light when a parent decides to actually parent and guide these kids of ours to their next stages in life. Bravo. Kara

    ReplyDelete