Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Tightening the Belt

Everyone knows the economy is in bad shape, and almost everyone I know has had to make tough choices and changes to adjust to the times. Old Wahoo has struggled with this, though, and needs to re-examine the family budget, particularly discretionary spending.
Quite simply, I think I still spend too much money on needless things, from a cup of coffee or smoothie at Biggby's to the Netflix account. Something needs to change, and the Simple Dollar blog offers 100 ideas for a money-free weekend.
Here's an example:

32. Scan your old pictures. If you have a digital scanner laying around somewhere, bust it out and scan in the piles of old prints you have laying around. If you have a screensaver of pictures, scanning in old prints and adding them to the rotation will make your screensaver all the more amazing. Plus, it becomes easy to just attach them to emails and send them to friends and family.

Some are great ideas, some are simple and some I absolutely won't try. (I will never quilt. Sorry). But it's worth trying, I think, for two weekends a month. I'm curious how everyone else is finding creative ways to save. What are some things you do for a money-free and fun weekend?

1 comment:

  1. How does scaning in your old pictures save you any money?

    ReplyDelete